Stanley R. Pierce Hall
|Title||Stanley R. Pierce Hall|
|Series||II: Buildings and Grounds|
|Description||Stanley R. Pierce Hall, 10-story, $2,400,000 Men's Residence Hall at 5514 S. University Avenue, was completed in the autumn of 1960. The east tower, housing 332 male students, is divided into four separate houses. Each house consists of rooms on two floors surrounding a two-story high central lounge. The lounge has a fireplace and an adjoining kitchenette. The two-story pavilion, which will connect with a matching tower at Greenwood Avenue and 55th Street (planned for 1963), contains the main lobby and desk; the dining halls are on the ground floor. Harry Weese and Associates are the architects. Stanley Pierce graduated from the University of Chicago in 1914; he was a starting Maroon fullback. A Chicago broker, he left the University of Chicago an $800,000 estate, including a collection of some 5,000 $20 gold pieces worth more than $200,000.|
|Subject Terms||Dormitories (Buildings) | Exterior views|
|Photographer||Engdahl, Bill; Hedrich-Blessing Studio|
|Physical Format||Photographic prints; 22.8 x 18.0 cm|
|Architect||Henry Weese and Associates; Jones, J. Lee|
|Location||5514 S. University Avenue | University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois|
|Collection||Archival Photographic Files|
|Repository||University of Chicago Library, Special Collections Research Center|
View information about rights and permissions.
View information about ordering reproductions.