Calvert House

Calvert House
Larger

Calvert House
Exterior 1
II: Buildings and Grounds
Robert Herrick a popular novelist and English Professor at the University of Chicago was the first owner of what is today the Calvert House. Subsequently, the Japanese government converted it into a consulate and Chi Psi fraternity to a lodge. From 1942, when the Chicago Archdiocese purchased it, the building's names have been, respectively the Calvert Club, the De Sales House in honor of St. Francis de Sales, and finally Calvert House.
Robert Herrick House; St. Francis de Sales House
Fa├žades
1951
Photographic prints; 16.5 x 11.4 cm
Garden, Hugh Mackie Gordon, 1873-1961
1902
5735 S. University Avenue | University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
D70
Archival Photographic Files
University of Chicago Library, Special Collections Research Center
apf2-01435

View information about rights and permissions.

View information about ordering reproductions.