Calvert House

Calvert House

Calvert House
Exterior 1
II: Buildings and Grounds
Robert Herrick a popular novelist and English Professor at the University of Chicago was the first owner of what is today the Calvert House. Subsequently, the Japanese government converted it into a consulate and Chi Psi fraternity to a lodge. From 1942, when the Chicago Archdiocese purchased it, the building's names have been, respectively the Calvert Club, the De Sales House in honor of St. Francis de Sales, and finally Calvert House.
Robert Herrick House; St. Francis de Sales House
Photographic prints; 16.5 x 11.4 cm
Garden, Hugh Mackie Gordon, 1873-1961
5735 S. University Avenue | University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
Archival Photographic Files
University of Chicago Library, Special Collections Research Center

View information about rights and permissions.

View information about ordering reproductions.