Old University of Chicago

Old University of Chicago

Old University of Chicago
Front View 1
II: Buildings and Grounds
In 1856, the Old University of Chicago was established on a ten-acre tract of land at 34th Street and Cottage Grove Avenue donated by Senator Stephen A. Douglas. University trustees named the main building Douglas Hall in his memory. The school was constantly plagued by financial difficulties and was forced to close in 1886.
University of Chicago (1857-1886) | Universities and colleges | Douglas, Stephen Arnold, 1813-1861
Lovejoy & Foster
Stereographs; 9.9 x 17.6 cm
Boyington, William W., 1818-1898
3440 S. Cottage Grove Avenue | Chicago, Illinois
Archival Photographic Files
University of Chicago Library, Special Collections Research Center

View information about rights and permissions.

View information about ordering reproductions.