Old University of Chicago

Old University of Chicago

Old University of Chicago
Prints and Drawings 1
II: Buildings and Grounds
In 1856, the Old University of Chicago was established on a ten-acre tract of land at 34th Street and Cottage Grove Avenue donated by Senator Stephen A. Douglas. University trustees named the main building Douglas Hall in his memory. The school was constantly plagued by financial difficulties and was forced to close in 1886. The lithograph was a gift to the library from Cecilia Cooper.
University of Chicago
University of Chicago (1857-1886) | Universities and colleges | Douglas, Stephen Arnold, 1813-1861 | Color lithographs
Color lithographs; 29.6 x 37.5 cm
Boyington, William W., 1818-1898
Jevne and Almini; Chicago Lithographing Company
3440 S. Cottage Grove Avenue | Chicago, Illinois
Prints and Drawings Collection
University of Chicago Library, Special Collections Research Center

View information about rights and permissions.

View information about ordering reproductions.