Reynolds Club 14
IV: Student Activities
As one proceeds from Fifty-Seventh Street through Mitchell Tower, the cloister's eastside doors open into the Reynolds Student Clubhouse. Designed by Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge, the Clubhouse was a gift of Mrs. Joseph Reynolds in memory of her husband. A commemorative tablet with Joseph Reynolds' portrait is the work of Paul Fjekie. Its inscription reads: Joseph Reynolds, a builder of the Middle West, trader, miner, master of transportation by river and by rail. His love for his son, Blake Reynolds, who died in youth, widening to generous interest in all young men, led to the erection of this building. David Allan Robertson, chair of the Senior Students Council, laid the building's cornerstone on June 22, 1901. The Clubhouse's University Avenue elevation is reminiscent of the garden front of St. John's College, Oxford, its ornamental windows having been based on those of St. John. The north wall left of the Mitchell Tower Fifty-Seventh Street entrance bears the device adopted as the Reynolds's Club arms and the motto: Filli Eiusdem Almae Matris. The entrance hall suggests the stair hall of an old English manor house; to the left is the reading-room decorated by Frederic Clay Bartlett like the rest of the rooms in the Tower Group. The Friezes here and in the lounging room were fashioned after a careful study of Tudor period applied design in stuffs and brocades. The free checking service, the barbershop, billiard tables, candy counter, and reading-and lounging-rooms are for the convenience of all University men and women. The theater, committee-rooms, dance floors, and other spaces are available to student groups and campus organizations upon application.
College students--Recreation | Student unions | Armchairs
Photographic prints; 7.7 x 10.1 cm
University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
Archival Photographic Files
University of Chicago Library, Special Collections Research Center

View information about rights and permissions.

View information about ordering reproductions.